This Paprika Chicken recipe was originally found in a milk calendar that my mom had, I modified it a bit to take into account a dairy free lifestyle. This is a delicious warming recipe that I serve over rice noodles, but could be eaten alone or with potatoes, rice, or whatever you can imagine.
Sauteed Paprika Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Warming chicken recipe that can be customized to suit your dietary needs. Gluten-free, Dairy-free
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
2 lbs of chicken (I used 4 chicken breasts but can be done with drumsticks, thighs, etc)
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2-3 cups of mushrooms (any favourite variety fresh or canned, if using dried re-hydrate first)
1 tbsp gluten-free flour (Robin Hood makes a nice one in Canada)
1 cup of Coconut/Almond Milk (could be any type of milk)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Unthaw chicken and sprinkle evenly with paprika (use as much or as little as you would like)
2. Heat oil in a nonstick frying over medium-high heat, add in chicken and cook until well browned all over (approximately 5 minutes).
3. Add in onion and mushrooms, stirring often, cook for about 10 minutes until onions are tender.
4. Whisk gluten-free flour into cold milk alternative product. Pour into the frying pan, stir and cook until thickened.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook for 15 minutes longer (I cover it at this stage if I want to keep it juicy)
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tip: Cut chicken before cooking if you want to cook the dish faster. Makes great lunch leftovers.
Adapted from Milk Calendar Yr 2000